Re: [Shop-talk] Bio diesel question.

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <eric@megageek.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Bio diesel question.
From: ejrussell@mebtel.net
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 12:17:44 -0400
Sender: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
BioDiesel is not simply burning used cooking oil - it is processed into a form usable in a conventional diesel engine. The process of converting used cooking oil into BioDiesel makes it cost more than conventional diesel. It is probably a Good Thing environmentally but not from a strictly economical viewpoint. I believe there are ways to convert a diesel engine to run on used cooking oil but that wasn't your question... I would assume that you could 'dispose' of a few gallons of used cooking oil by diluting it in a few hundred gallons of fuel oil. But it doesn't seem like that was your question either...
What was your question...?

Oh - saving some money. I doubt that a few gallons of used cooking oil in your home heating system is going to save any money unless it is very expensive to otherwise dispose of it.
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

Quoting eric@megageek.com:
I know lots of people burn used cooking oil in diesel vehicles. And since my oil heat is basically diesel fuel, my question is...
Can I burn used cooking oil in my home heating oil tank?  If so, what do I
need to do with first?