Re: [Shop-talk] OT - California destinations

To: KVacek@Ameritech.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT - California destinations
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 08:39:43 +0100
Cc: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
Hi Karl,

Can't claim any California roots but have enjoyed many holidays there over the years. A few suggestions:

La Brea Tar Pits in LA are interesting, nothing automotive but pretty unique natural history stuff.

NASA JPL in Pasadena do guided tours, book via website. For an Englishman it was very good, for an American I imagine you'd be interested to see how your tax dollars are spent.

Mulholland Drive LA is a great scenic drive. At the western end there's an interesting cold war radar site.

Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo are worth visiting. Solvang in between is a faux Danish town but nicely done. Go to Firestone Winery near Los Olivos to see how a winery can be done if you don't have to rely on wine profits to build it.

Morro Bay or Cambria make good stopping places on the route north, handy for Hearst Castle. Bar the power station Morro Bay is a nice little town.

Coastal drive in Monterey is good.

+1 on Castle Air Museum but it's some way inland on I99. A great road for Big Ag.

Marin County and Point Reyes just over the bridge from SF are very scenic.

Wondered about a Mustang convertible for our next trip, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with fitting your luggage in the trunk.

Good luck.

Nick Brearley