Re: [Shop-talk] Exterior nighttime surveillance cameras?

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Exterior nighttime surveillance cameras?
From: Battmain <battmain@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 15:31:12 -0700 (PDT)
The lower end Foscam IP cameras have been getting good reviews on Amazon. I
might end up with a few by the end of the year. I did one of the q-see
surveillance systems for my aunt's business. I discovered in the process that
the consumer grade DVR's record a really small CIF format real time video.
Small enough to be relatively useless. It will do D1 format at a slower frame
rate, but I'd rather have real time video at a higher resolution. I will most
likely get another DVR system for me before I get the IP camera, but one that
does D1 format on all channels at real time. It seems the 'elite' series of
the q-see brand does this, at higher cost of course. For best resolution, the
higher end IP camera's are the way to go, but you're gonna' pay if you go that
route and it uses a LOT of hard drive space. Comparison: 500gb hard drive with
4 CIF format and 4 D1 format camera is full in 20 days.  2TB with a few higher
end 1080p cameras will probably be
 just as long before the hard drive is full. Check youtube for some
outstanding video of those cameras.  The motion sensing for me has been
relatively useless, no matter how I adjust the sensitivity.  I get lots of
flying things and moving sun shadows. You could also test the X-10 stuff to
see if it will work for you. It didn't for me and got returned, but seems to
be working for some people.

Regards,
Brian
<jamesf@groupwbench.org>
surveillance cameras?

>I'm interested in recording any movement such as
kids driving by my mailbox
>with a baseball bat I mean seeing what wildlife
comes through my yard at
>night. Ideally it would be motion sensor activated
but with a very short
>delay, and quick recovery from headlights. Anything you
use and like?