Re: [Shop-talk] Dead PC

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dead PC
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 16:42:22 -0400
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
On 8/15/2012 4:25 PM, Jim Stone wrote:
> I have just returned from a two week vacation and my home PC is completely
> dead.  Even though it is plugged into a surge protector, I unplugged it and my
> router before I left town, although I did leave the ethernet cable in.
> Everything else in the house seems to be working fine, with the exception of a
> CO2 dector, which perhaps coincidently now shows ERR on the display.  Still,
> that seems like only a concidence, as the only connection between the PC and
> the outside world was the ethernet cord.  However, I do know there was at
> least one severe thunderstorm warning for the area while I was gone.
>
> I know enough to be able to install new components in the box, but have no
> idea where to start trouble shooting when it is totally unresponsive.  It is
> not a high end PC, but plenty sufficient for my home needs.  I confirmed that
> the cord was good, but that has been it so far.  Any recommendations on what I
> should do next?

I had a lightning strike near my house, probably a tree.  It did not
strike the power/phone lines but was close enough for an EM pulse. I
lost a PC that was disconnected at the time, some of the flash memory
was wiped and the CRT TV was gaussed.

As for diagnosing, I'd start with power supply.  Disconnect and test
with a volt meter.