Re: [Shop-talk] Dead PC

To: <wmc_st@xxiii.com>, "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dead PC
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:01:48 -0500
Well, I have more information, but don't think it is good.  I didn't want to
wait a week to get the cheap tester from eBay and picked one up today at a
computer supply store.  Here is the one I got:
http://thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1405&ID=1545#Tab0.  It comes with no
information or instructions, other than a sticker on the back saying to first
plug in the 20/24 pin connector.  I pulled that from the motherboard and
plugged it into the tester.  I then plugged the power supply in and it
instantly came to life, or at least the fan started spinning.  The tester
chirped and all of the lights except for the -5V one came on.  I also unpluged
one of the 4-pin connectors and it lit up the proper +5V light.  I unplugged
the SATA power connector and tried to plug that into the tester, but for some
reason couldn't get it to connect.  Still, I would guess that the power supply
is not my problem; the motherboard is.

Is that correct, and if so, how big a deal is it to replace the board?  It
doesn't look like it would be that difficult, but I am a complete neophyte at
this, so....

As always, thanks in advance.

Jim