Re: [Shop-talk] Dead PC

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dead PC
From: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 18:39:39 -0400
Jim-

Here is another supplier of power supplies that purport to be
compatible with that system, if it does turn out to be a bad/damaged
supply.

http://www.911forpcs.com/atx-1523f.html

If you have another PC in the house and you want to check the hard
drive (and perhaps copy data from it to another system) you could pull
the drive from the dead system and either drop it into a USB IDE drive
case (available at your local computer supply place, Best Buy,
Microcenter, Amazon, Newegg or elsewhere). I'm assuming, based on the
power supply info above, that this system is old enough that it has a
PATA(IDE) drive, rather than one of the newer SATA drives.

It very well may be that the power supply is just fine - and that the
trouble is your motherboard. Considering that you had no power cord
connected to the power supply while you were gone (but the ethernet
was connected), I would first suspect the motherboard, which, in this
case, would have me suggest that you start looking for a replacement
system. Lightning can get into the most amazing places!

-Peter