Re: [Shop-talk] New PC (was Dead PC)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net (from eric@megageek.com on Mon Aug 20 07:08:50 2012)
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] New PC (was Dead PC)
From: Marcus Pless <mpless@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:23:10 -0700
As another data point, my department at a large SoCal University
purchases several hundred new PCs every year for use in computer
labs, and we've done this for years. We've purchased Dells for
at least the last 9 out of 10 years (last summer HP wanted our
business badly enough that they undercut Dell's pricing so we
went with HP). The HPs are nice machines, but the only real problem
we've ever had with the Dells was when the entire industry was
dealing with the "bad caps" plague. I recommend Dells and HPs to
friends and family members that live far enough away that I can't
help them out and they've never had any brand specific issues. Our
Dell PowerEdge serves have been outstanding; I've still got a rack
of PowerEdge 2650 servers that have been running 24/7 for 10 or 11
years now without so much as a cooling fan or power supply failure.
We've lost hard drives over the years, but everything else is still
going strong. I certainly agree that Lenovo is an excellent brand
to consider for Windows/Linux based portables.

For a number of years my department included an authorized Apple
repair facility (including warranty repair). Given their market
share I was shocked at the sheer number of Apple computers that came
into our building for repair. They might make nice looking hardware
and excellent user interfaces but I've never been impressed
with the actual build quality of Apple products.

YMMV...

--Marcus