Re: [Shop-talk] alt or battery?

To: "'Tim'" <tputland@charter.net>, "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] alt or battery?
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 20:22:49 -0700
> Battery was showing over 13 volts when car was running when she got
> home. I could not get a reading off the alt as the
> connections are all
> covered.

Over 13 volts but won't start likely means a bad battery.  Could be bad
connection or bad starter, but the battery is most likely IMO.

If they have O'Reillys in your area and can limp it over there, they will
test both battery and alternator for free.  My experience has been that they
are honest about the test, and don't try to pressure you into buying from
them even if the test shows a problem (unlike some of the other stores
around here).

Pick up some battery clamps while you're there.

-- Randall