Re: [Shop-talk] alt or battery?

To: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] alt or battery?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 00:38:10 -0500
Cc: shop-talk List <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Rapid clicks is usually a dead battery. What happens is there's enough voltage
to close the starter relay, but not enough current to turn it. Voltage falls
below what's required to close the relay so it opens. With no load, battery
voltage goes up enough to close the terminal again. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Given the other symptoms, I think the battery is worn out. Get a new one, and
cables, or at least new ends. Then test, or have Tested, the alternato.

On Aug 20, 2012, at 7:44 PM, Tim <tputland@charter.net> wrote:

> BAttery reading was while running before cleaning terminals. I cannot get it
running again to check the stuff you asked about. With the charger reading
full charge (and flickering green light) turning the key just gives rapid
clicks like I've heard when a battery is dead.