Re: [Shop-talk] This is why I don't work in IT, was: Re: Entirely not s

To: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] This is why I don't work in IT, was: Re: Entirely not shop related, but...
From: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 16:10:46 -0500
Cc: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Scott-

Best Buy won't accept returns of opened software, unfortunately.

Do you have the original XP (or Vista) discs that came with your Dell? It
would likely have been sold with an OEM license for one of those (check
under the E6400's battery for the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) and
installation key). If you have the COA but no discs, let me know which OS
it is, and I can get you an ISO. If no COA, then we venture towards the
more grey area, though you already have a legitimate installation of
Windows there already, no? You could do an absolutely minimal installation
of that and "upgrade" it from there. It appears that XP, Vista and 7 are
eligible for the Windows 8 upgrade.

Some info here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57505867-292/upgrading-to-windows-8-what-you-need-to-know-faq/

Cloning from a smaller drive to a larger drive should be pretty trouble
free. I do that regularly with Clonezilla and GParted, both of which are
free, and you can get both of them on the "Ultimate Boot CD". Search for
"UBCD". It will even boot from a USB stick, if you are short on writeable
CD media. I can put together some docs for that if you would like. For that
system, it should be very easy - I have done it here at my office. It is a
multi-step process - install the source drive, clone it, install the new
SSD, restore it, then expand the resulting restored partition to the full
size of the new drive.

I have been happier with the Dell Latitude D- and E-series systems (of
which I have purchased over 75 in the past 3.5 years) than the Thinkpad
systems I purchased in an earlier life. That said, there are always lemons!

-Peter