Re: [Shop-talk] Another wandering off-topic.....GPS

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Another wandering off-topic.....GPS
From: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 16:34:43 -0500
I can't help with the Nuvi--I have one, but I used it for a few days
before I decided Google Maps on my phone was infinitely better.

Like John says, there's a 'traffic' layer. I resolutely ignored it for
at least a year, not trusting it, until it tried to route me off an
interstate once and I ignored it (stupid computer). I spent four hours
at a dead stop on the interstate while a co-worker who followed its
instructions (he didn't know there was an interstate there...really) had
almost no delay. I follow its advice on routing now, or at least check
the traffic 'layer'.

Other than that, I do like Phil said and just use it as a map. I do that
for the very same reason mentioned in the original post--I was trying to
go through Nashville once and it took me through the city on the
interstate when I wanted to go around. I couldn't ever figure out how to
make it do that, and I didn't see an 'avoid cities' option, so I just
use Google Maps on my phone like I'd have used a paper map years ago.
Except with traffic congestion noted. Nashville and...I'm trying to
remember the other city--Richmond, maybe?--are particularly awful for
that. I want to just go around them, Google wants me to drive through them.