Re: [Shop-talk] Another wandering off-topic.....GPS

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Another wandering off-topic.....GPS
From: Battmain <battmain@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:59:53 -0800 (PST)
----- Original Message -----

> From: Karl Vacek <kvacek@ameritech.net>
> To:
shop-talk@autox.team.net
> Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:44 PM

(snip)
 If I
ever decide to buy a dedicated aircraft GPS, I'll buy
> any other brand than a
Garmin.

(snip)
In terms of aircraft GPS, the competition is pretty good
right now. Based on my experience, the Aviation Garmin units are more
intuitive than the other manufacturers in doing everything. Flight Plans,
moving maps, deviations, etc. I've been impressed with some of the stuff
coming out though. Each manufacturer trying to one up the other.

I've never
warmed up to any of the car units, because of the lack of detail when zoomed
out. I went from a computer based mapping with GPS to my phone and have pretty
much used that since. The maps and traffic are more accurate in my experience
since the Google maps are in the 'cloud' as opposed to being loaded in a local
file. I may move to an Android phone next year to replace my 5 year old
smartphone, but haven't decided yet. Waiting on the Samsung S4 to be released.
A new phone is a want not a need. :)