Re: [Shop-talk] Covering sand textured ceiling?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Covering sand textured ceiling?
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 11:11:40 -0500
I grew up in a 1917 vintage house with plaster over wood lath. Have lots
of experience patching plaster cracks, and I've spread a little drywall
mud over the years. It's been years ago (1980s) but I think it's still
relevant to current materials: plaster cures (crystallizes) and expands,
like cement; mud dries and shrinks. Mud is NOT good in large layers or
cracks.

We had a kitchen ceiling cave in from a water leak above. Dad's initial
thought was rip it all out and drywall the ceiling. But we were still
able to find a guy that was an expert plasterer. He laid a couple coats
on it, didn't have to do much if any sanding, and it was ready to prime
& paint. I don't remember exact details (been 25 or so years ago) buy I
think he used something like tile backer-board or metal lath to replace
the water damaged stuff, and laid a skim coat over the whole thing.

If you can still find a plasterer, I'd try them. Heard there's been some
resurgence in the trade. Some high end houses go for a full skim coat of
plaster over drywall, instead of just mud joints that dang near always show.

-w