Re: [Shop-talk] Covering sand textured ceiling?

To: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Covering sand textured ceiling?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:43:04 -0600
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com> wrote:
> I grew up in a 1917 vintage house with plaster over wood lath. Have lots of
> experience patching plaster cracks, and I've spread a little drywall mud
> over the years. It's been years ago (1980s) but I think it's still relevant
> to current materials: plaster cures (crystallizes) and expands, like cement;
> mud dries and shrinks. Mud is NOT good in large layers or cracks.
>
> We had a kitchen ceiling cave in from a water leak above. Dad's initial
> thought was rip it all out and drywall the ceiling. But we were still able
> to find a guy that was an expert plasterer. He laid a couple coats on it,
> didn't have to do much if any sanding, and it was ready to prime & paint. I
> don't remember exact details (been 25 or so years ago) buy I think he used
> something like tile backer-board or metal lath to replace the water damaged
> stuff, and laid a skim coat over the whole thing.

There are sheet goods (like drywall, but with a different coat, and
maybe a different core) available for plastering, they're called 'blue
board' (which is no doubts someone's trademark).  They hang like
drywall, and then get a skim goat of plaster.  Metal lath still gets
used, but I think just for repair work, anyone doing a big area uses
the board stuff.