Re: [Shop-talk] Plasma cutting eye protection

To: eric@megageek.com, Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Plasma cutting eye protection
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 15:29:44 -0500
On 1/6/2013 12:47 PM, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> Now when I use them for plasma cutting, I can see great.  The only
> problem, my eyes seem to feel like they are getting a little "snow
> blinded' when I'm done cutting.

If you're noticing effects, or have that gritty / itchy eye thing, then
you're DEFINITELY doing damage, and are very correct to be seeking
better protection. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. A
friend & I did welding classes at the local community college a few
years ago, and he went crazy with it, and now has a Miller Dynasty MIG /
TIG box and plasma cutter in his garage now. You can get helmets and
glasses / goggles with different darkness ratings. Our school supplies
list spec'ed both with suggested numbers, but I don't recall what they
were. I'd hit your local welding supply shop and see what they have or
suggest.

The friend I mentioned is a rather large guy, and spent a few hours on a
welding project -- with some belly hanging out from under his shirt. And
ended up with a nasty sunburn "belt" around him from the UV exposure.
You DON'T want that hitting your eyeballs!

-wc