Re: [Shop-talk] camry hybrids

To: Paul Parkanzky <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] camry hybrids
From: Shannah Miller <shannahquilts@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:54:09 -0800
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Let me state upfront that I do like my 2010 Prius.

That said, "numb" is a great way to describe it.
It's my understanding that the brakes are computer
controlled.  This leads to zero road feel in the brake
pedal, and it works oddly at times.

Sometimes, I put my foot on the brake, and it slams
on immediately with very little travel in the pedal.

Other times, I put my foot on the brake, and it travels
a very long way before reluctantly slowing down the
car.  If I persist, it will stop, but in its own sweet time.

Luckily, after someone rear ended me (lots of damage)
last year, the brakes have been better (no idea why)
but they are still chancy enough that I will not be
handing this car down to my son when he gets his
license.

I have a friend who occasionally needs to drive one
of our cars, and she strongly prefers the 2005 to the
2010.

I had to take my car to an independent mechanic
(Luscious Garage) to get the headlights adjusted,
because they were so low I could not see to drive
at night, and the dealership kept telling me they were
fine.

Had I known then what I know now, I would have
kept my Acura TSX and waited for a Volt, or Leaf,
or something.

I don't see having a hybrid or electric car as something
that I'm doing directly for the environment.  I am
supporting the technology so that it improves to the
point where it *does* make a big difference.

Shannah