Re: [Shop-talk] camry hybrids

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] camry hybrids
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 13:56:40 -0500
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:31 PM,  <pethier@comcast.net> wrote:
> The important factor here is how you are going to drive a car.  If you spend
> a lot of time on the freeway in normal traffic, the hybrid is a waste of
> money.  Any cheap econobox is gong to do better than hybrids in overall costs.
>
> If you spend all your time in short trips around town and sitting in
> traffic-jams in nice weather, the hybrid is the way to go.  A plug-in hybrid
> even better.

This ^^^

Only marginally connected to the discussion, we bought two new
vehicles this year; one for me and one for my wife - which will be
opassed down to my daughter in bout 18 months, when she goes off to
college.

I traded a 97 F150 V6 for a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost.  I gained about 12%
increase in fuel mileage, and for the first time in 15 years, I have a
truck that can capably pull the car trailer...up to 11,300 pounds,
they claim.  And, it's fun to drive. Twin turbos = very little lag to
speak of (when the occasion calls for Go!).  I have 5300 miles on it,
and it's 1000 percent more comfortable than the 97 econotruck.

My wife got a 2012 Jetta SE.  It's more of an appliance than a Car,
since it's minimally equipped - the only gauge in the car is for fuel
level - but it has power windows and doors, and Bluetooth for the
phone.  If it had automatic headlights (or on all the time like our
Volvos) it would be perfect for its intended purpose.  We looked at
TDIs and liked them, but this was an end of the month, end of the
model year, last on the lot special that we just couldn't pass up.
The TDI would have been at least $6k more, which spoiled the economy
of it.

Both vehicles turned out to be a compromise between fuel mileage,
which is probably the largest ongoing expense, and comfort/fun, which
if it's lacking offsets the economy.  But we've been pretty happy with
both.

And, when I need extra smileage, I can choose a Triumph.  So there's that.

Jeff Scarbrough
Improving the economy in Corrosion Acres, Ga.