Re: [Shop-talk] Nuts and Bolts

To: Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Nuts and Bolts
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 06:23:31 -0600
Cc: 'Shop Talk List' <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
On 8/19/2013 5:54 AM, Randall wrote:
>> AND your Chinese
>> bolt will likely
>> fatigue-strip and dump your T-bone in the dirt tomorrow
> The trick is in knowing if a fastener is adequate for the job.  Some
> applications, even Grade 8 won't cut the mustard (5 is actually pretty
> soft); but sometimes even old pasta will do.  That particular bolt has been
> doing it's job for some 30 years now, so I really doubt it will fail
> tomorrow.
>
> -- Randall

Just to elaborate--there is a grading system precisely because some
bolts are just fine for some applications, but not for others. The same
is true of bearings.  The ABEC bearing system was developed for the same
reason the SAE fastener system was devised.  It's just part of an
industrial system developed over generations with the principle of
optimum utility in mind.  It's a waste of money and resources to use
hardware far beyond the demands required of it. What's much more
important is to know _when_ and _how_ to use the right fastener for the job.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....