Re: [Shop-talk] High Hydrocarbons

To: <eric@megageek.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] High Hydrocarbons
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 12:24:44 -0500
The connector is usually mounted somewhere under the edge of the dash near
the driver's right knee, though that location isn't guaranteed.  There
should be two adjacent pins on one end, and the connector will be missing
part of the separator between the two pins you want.  Short those two while
the key is ON.

A paper clip straightened into a long "U" works pretty well, and usually
it'll slip into place and stay there till you're finished.  One contact is a
ground, so you're not going to have an issue with accidentally grounding the
paper clip out while checking.

You count the flashes on the "Check Engine" light (called a MIL for
Malfunction Indicator Light in service publications).

The old GM standard was to flash 1 2 first, then whatever codes are set,
then end with 5 5.  It cycles through each code twice.  If all you get is 1
2 and then 5 5, there are no codes set.

A shop manual will usually give the codes, or Google them, or ask here.  If
nobody has the exact manual, I have a 93 GMC manual that should cover your
codes too.