[Shop-talk] HF Predator engines

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] HF Predator engines
From: Dave C <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 20:17:32 -0700
Anyone have any experience with/opinions on/etc the Harbor Freight
Predator engines?  I believe they are more or less a clone of the Honda
GX series of engines, but some looking around the web seems to indicate
that the older HF engines can use Honda parts but current engines can
not.  The clone engines are apparently very popular with karters and for
building mini bikes.

The reason I'm asking is that I have a small engine repair class at
school  where the students break down B&S OHV engines, identify the
parts, reassemble them and then get them to start.  I don't have the
model number handy but they are a basic OHV engine with a slanted
crankcase and are a lot like the Honda (and HF) engines. The engines we
have are four or five years old, and get disassembled six or seven times
a year, and they're getting kind of worn out. New B&S engines are around
$300, but I think I can get the HF engines for under $100 with a 25% off
coupon.  I am probably going to buy one later this week for a test run,
but I thought I would run it past you folks, too.