Re: [Shop-talk] HF Predator engines

To: "Dave C" <cavanadd@frontier.com>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HF Predator engines
From: "John Niolon" <jniolon@att.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 07:11:08 -0500
HI Dave

I've got a 30 year old 26" Yazoo big wheel mower (bush hog) I've been using
as a trim mower.Bought it used in the 80's when it had a BS industrial iron
sleeve engine...replaced the engine one time back around 2000 with a Briggs
and last year replaced it with a Predator.. it was a perfect bolt up
replacement .  It's arund 6 hp (although they go by displacement now) and it
started 2nd pull when installed and had never done any less...  I do shut
off fuel at end of each day and run it dry but 2nd pull always starts it...
only maintenance has been oil change at beginning of seasons and air
filters... The only fault I find is the low oil sensor will shut the engine
down going across a medium slope.  I disconnected it .  I'm fanatical about
oil checking and air cleaner cleaning (every time I use it)  so low oil
usually isn't a problem for me

I'm very pleased with it... It's plenty strong and I have yet to put it in
anything that would lug the engine down at all...  it was around 90 bucks
with coupons and warranty... I figured for a hundred bucks I was far ahead
if  it only lasted one year.  My problem is finding deck parts now.  it has
a belt/chain drive system and I've got through two junk mowers of parts...
But it's such a good mower I just can't retire t.

good luck with the HF engines, I don't think you'll be disappointed

later
John