Re: [Shop-talk] New Generator

To: john Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>, Shop-Talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] New Generator
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 21:30:00 -0500
These days, unless you want high-end, everybody seems to be selling
something made by some other company, and just slapping their label on it.
And this could be happening separately for the gas engine and the actual
generator.

I would:

1: Test your ability to find and order spare parts on-line.  If you can't,
that's a bad sign.
2:  Reject any generator that does not have a fuel shutoff valve, or which
has a fuel pump instead of pure gravity feed.
3: Avoid something that you would not trust running computers or other
electronic devices.

There generators that work without brushes.  That sounds good in theory,
but I haven't heard how much better it is in practice.

If you have the means, an inverter generator is very nice.  They can
throttle down when the load is low, and you use less noise, and use less
gas.  I have a Honda EU2000, and it is wonderful if 2000 watts is
sufficient.
A EU6500 would be nice for you, but it costs $$$$$.

BTW, consider how you will be able to keep the thing fed if you have to run
it for a several days.  If you have a 5000 watt generator that uses a
gallon every two hours, that's 12 gallons a day,  In three days, you will
have to bring home 36 gallons of gas, which probably cost you over $100.
(My EU2000 will run 10 hours on a gallon of gas.)

Doug