Re: [Shop-talk] Tapping off a crimp connector?

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tapping off a crimp connector?
From: w <wc5813@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 18:59:01 -0500
On 12/28/2013 5:08 PM, ElanS4 wrote:
> It seems that everyone here believes that a soldered joint is better than a
> crimped one.
> That is not correct.  A crimp connection - if done correctly with a GOOD
> crimp tool  (not the cheap $3 ones) will make a strong mechanical AND

Good point, and mostly agreed. I understand the brittleness issue with
soldering and should have mentioned that. And obviously OEM wiring
harnesses are crimped. But that's assuming you have a dedicated
expensive crimp robot, fasteners for the specific application, etc. I
have an AMP crimper and three dies at the office that cost over $300 for
RJ termminations and it's worth every bit in reliable network connections.

If you're doing a DIY repair or replacement, I still think some more
improvisation and "over doing it" is not a bad thing. A car is a pretty
harsh and demanding environment, with temperature extremes, weather,
vibration, and all that.

-w