Re: [Shop-talk] Tapping off a crimp connector?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[E8C48840:01CF03E2]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tapping off a crimp connector?
From: James Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:38:50 -0500
Why not just solder the connectors on and protect them with heat shrink
tubing?  That is what I did when I rewired my Alpine last summer.  One small
diameter piece of tubing over the ferrule end (I think that is what it is
called; the shank where it was crimped and soldered) and a larger piece to
cover the connector.  You can even use heat shrink tubing designed for
exterior use.  There is a standard size that is just barely larger than the
connector end and when it shrinks it will also shrink over the soldered part
(shrink the tubing over that end first), giving it added protection.  The
resulting connection looks pretty good; certainly a lot better than the
standard plastic crimped ones, IMHO.