Re: [Shop-talk] Installing a Network device in a safe.

To: "'Shop-Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Installing a Network device in a safe.
From: "Jack Brooks" <jibjib@att.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 19:10:01 -0800
Keep your NAS where it can be kept cool and back the data up to a separate
drive and store it off site.

I use Windows home server to back up all 5 home computers and hold about 1TB
of other data.  In case of a catastrophic loss, I back up everything to a
2TB hard drive which I keep in a safely deposit box at the bank, updating it
every few weeks to a month. Easy.

One of the worst things you can do to a hard drive is run it hot all.  It's
a mechanical device.  When I started adding fans to the desktop computers &
in my server, the lifespan went up.  The fans blow directly over the hard
drives from one end.  My system drive has 7 years and 169 days of run time
on it today.  Scary, since it's my most important drive, but it's a great
size for the system disk and it's now been running smoothly in this 3rd
server rendition.  Right now, in my 73F server closet, it's running just
under 80F, same as most of my server drives, although two run up around 85F.

Jack