Re: [Shop-talk] Cell phone boosters

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[30779A20:01CF1026]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cell phone boosters
From: James Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 18:03:16 -0500
Thanks guys.  This was very helpful.  I had done some research on the topic
before posting the question, but that didnt tell me everything I needed to
know.  The information from this group enabled me to do a little more targeted
surfing and I found an excellent write up on the topic from PCWord:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/194059/wireless_dead_zone.html  It is a couple
of years old, which is usually a killer, but it doesnt look like the
technology has changed much since this was written.
Im not sure yet which way I will go, but I am now an educated consumer, which
is a good start!
Jim

On Jan 11, 2014, at 10:04 PM, w <wc5813@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/11/2014 10:30 AM, Tim Hoerning wrote:
>> Verizon needs a GPS because the radio transmission format  they use
(CDMA2000
>> 1xRTT) requires all cell sites (including your samsung micro-cell) to be
>> synchronized. The GPS signal is being used for timing, not position.
>
> If you still have use for a land line, check out Verizon's "home connect"
service. It's a little black box like a wi-fi router that has a cellular radio
along with electronics to drive regular POTS (err.. standard home) phones.
Only $20/mo unlimited national calling, or if you have cell service with them
and want to share minutes it's only $10/mo. Killer bargain, and good sound
quality. Supposedly uses older equipment on the towers that's under utilized.
Few extra bucks for them, cheap service, and screw the competition.

>> Sent from my Commodore 64 over a 300 baud modem
>
> HuhHuh, I taught myself raw f***** 6502 on nearly bare metal machine code
(NO, not assembler, my 'rents and high school wouldn't drop $50 on it) in high
school in the early 80s to code video games fast enough to run on an Apple ][.
Breakout in 1536 bytes. And had a PDP 11/35 in Mom's basement in the mid 80s.
Bare metal? Toggle 12 words on the switches, reset address, and hit the run
button.