Re: [Shop-talk] Water treatment options

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Water treatment options
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 23:03:42 -0800
> Next, I had acidic water, 5.5 I believe

5.5 is not bad at all, that is less acidic than rainwater!  Unless it is
causing a specific problem, I'd leave it alone.

OTOH, adding just a little bit of lime is supposed to make the water taste
better.

> then I had hardwater (to be expected),

How hard is it?  Some hardness is a good thing, absolutely pure water is
actually kind of unpleasant to wash with IMO.  Again,
unless you are unhappy with the effects, it might make more sense to leave it
alone.

> The Iron I'm not worried about. (you can't see, or smell it.)

So not much iron, and it's good for you.

> The hard water, I wanted to treat with an electronic system.
> Does anyone
> know if they work, or are they snake oil?

Define "work".  They cannot remove hardness from the water.  Proponents claim
they lessen the effects of the hard water, but there
is no accepted method for measuring that.  And the dissolved minerals will
still come out if you boil the water, clog up your
humidifier (or swamp cooler), etc.

> I plan to do the work myself, am I crazy?

Should be no reason you can't do the work.  The only problem would be proving
that the electronic gizmo actually does anything when
you're finished.  But if you're happy, I guess that's what is important.

Randall