Re: [Shop-talk] Soldering a radiator

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Soldering a radiator
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 09:11:19 -0500
If this is a repeat, I apologize.  My Shop Talk replies bounce when I
accidentally reply to more than just the list, which I just did.

There's a plumbing product called Cool Gel that absolutely works as
advertised:
http://www.laco.com/cool-gel-/

The stuff is uncanny.  You have to be careful not to get the material too
close to where you want to solder because it's so effective.  If it gets
closer than a couple of inches to a fitting on pipe, that fitting becomes
almost impossible to solder with a normal MAPP torch.

Being intended for use on copper plumbing pipe, which is much thicker and
conducts heat so much better, it should work wonderfully on a thin brass
radiator tank.  I'd brush it rather than spray, for accuracy.

As far as using high heat to solder faster, take it easy.  Too much heat
will just burn the solder and ruin your joint.  Radiator stuff is thin and
heats easily.  Propane without oxygen is very adequate.  MAPP or fake MAPP
with oxygen is like oxyacetylene - way too much for what you're doing.

And I'd echo Randall's suggestion of taking it to a GOOD radiator shop.  If
they're actually good, it'll be a cheap and strong repair.

Karl