Re: [Shop-talk] Shop-talk Digest, Vol 8, Issue 156

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop-talk Digest, Vol 8, Issue 156
From: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 18:29:43 -0400
I'm learning more about wells than I want to know (though I still know
nearly nothing), but apparently the 'well' itself doesn't need to supply
so much water--or the size of the pump doesn't vary as much as I thought
it would. It's the size of the holding tank, and the pump from that tank
that matters. The idea is that the pump (apparently) will run
more-or-less constantly filling this monster tank (depending on how much
water you plan to use). Then you draw down the tank all at once, and the
pump spends the next two days re-filling it.

Or, when I asked about a well to supply El Shower Maximus at the house,
he said the well pump itself was fine. There needed to be a bigger tank,
and bigger lines from that tank, and a pump to pump the water *from* the
tank, but the same scrawny well pump itself (to the tank) is fine from a
tiny house up to commercial applications. The tank is a sort
of...capacitor, I guess. The current supply in can be low. If I got that
analogy right.

(I chime in because my wife at full capacity will consume more water
than 25 partiers, easily. What kind of shower needs a 1-inch supply line
to the fixture?)

Anyway, I wonder if septic tanks are similar. We just replaced ours, and
the tank is huge now, as are the leach lines. Maybe you just get the
gigantor tank, and the lines spend a week draining.