Re: [Shop-talk] led security lighting vrs incandescent`

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] led security lighting vrs incandescent`
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 23:39:33 +0000
> so I'm thinking of replacing and considering LED....  I know the cost
> difference but I like the low wattage and long life expect...     my question
> is the light output   how do they compare watt for watt as far as flood light
> illumination !!!   are they as bright ??   fill me in led gurus

Actual "watt for watt" they are much brighter, the difference is roughly 7:1.
However, watch out for "equivalent watts" as they frequently don't tell the
right story.  Compare lumens, not watts.

Also make sure the bulbs have plenty of cooling.  Even though they draw less
power, they are much more sensitive to heat and good cooling is essential for
long life.  I've been reading that even a typical recessed ceiling fixture may
not allow enough ventilation.

FWIW, I'm continuing with incandescent for now, even though I've got to replace
one of the fixtures.

Randall