[Shop-talk] floor options for new slab

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] floor options for new slab
From: steve hochschild <shochschild@att.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 14:03:43 -0600
So back to the old standby, shop flooring...

  I am building a  welding studio / track car shop behind my
grrlfriend's house in Austin.  It is 16' x 32', and I just got my slab
poured on Tuesday.  Had to pump the 12 yards of concrete, and it was a
lot of work to manhandle the hose, but I think they did a good job. It
was power-troweled to a smooth surface, and is nice and level.

I had always planned on an epoxy floor, but I have just been told that I
have two issues: I have to wait 6 months for the slab to fully cure
before I epoxy it or it will bubble, and second, that I don't want an
epoxy floor where I plan to weld.  I do tig welding on a welding table,
but there are falling pieces, sparks, plasma cutting, and so on, and it
is suggested that this will eat up the epoxy very quickly.

So I saw a concrete paint at a big-box, and my neighbor is having her
floors stained, so I would welcome yr thoughts and advice on using
either paint or stain?

I've already tried the plastic matting approach, which I don't want, but
what about linoleum or vinyl tiles?  How about laminate  - it would look
good, but will it work ??  I think it would have to be glued down, as it
doesn't seem like floating it on the pad would work.

Very excited about this project!  Thanks!