Re: [Shop-talk] new tool Oscillating tool

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] new tool Oscillating tool
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:59:19 -0800
I have the cheap Harbor Freight version and recommend this type of tool
as well.  They are great for close quarters where you don't have room
for a bigger tool.  They also provide much greater control where
neatness counts compared to a reciprocating saw.

Examples:

- Using a diamond blade to carefully remove grout so I could remove
tiles without damage to surrounding area

- Cutting window casing to remove it without having to remove the window
- nice neat line at the edge of the window that can be caulked

- Cutting the roof deck so I could get to one area of the attic from
another.  This was flat on my belly with arms fully extended (low
California roof)

- Cutting all nails and caulk to allow me to remove an exterior door
without disturbing the exterior stucco molding

- Cutting studs in the wall without breaking drywall or popping drywall
nails to install a new electrical panel

- Cutting installed base molding to either remove damaged sections or
install wider door casing

I am on my second one, but the first had at least 50 hours of very hard
use before dying.  I had no problem dropping another $20 for a new one.
The more expensive models are probably better made and some make blade
changing much easier than backing out an allen screw, so that is
something to consider.

Brian