Re: [Shop-talk] Air Hose Reel Rec

To: Shop Talk 'shop-talk' <shop-talk@autox.team.net> s=q20140121; t=1424294971; bh=ayJgC83T1+0940CH4sFpayXm8xUH/ftCYjOLbt7E0+A=; h=Received:Received:Subject:Mime-Version:Content-Type:From:Date: Message-Id:To; b=O3zttYModMQEmrrjZTekihTsep9vahCO+OUx2wfafrmWzDujIUYK642T37YJC0F8Q UDahmxG0IF8N6JeFibHsygh6LI4bwkEHY5PhKUG93USzlG16JQffDIYglM2PDIfQoy OwQDFY09Wj99OtA7AndPWXXFVDdhT51vbPDKXuWrgDg420d0o2ULCsD4YSydxtcf9B DqvDC2CDdLPJI1fIRCsCX0444N1SnBck7PHHe0rKSDqr33yb5DEgiQy61cf8Y8PxSN T8qQB3Ottb+GBGGTwr9UtThUjSYEPrz1NGuUPPTUI95qOGZz3gdEnAps1lOyhr1ha5 YNbarCv4oPqKw==
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air Hose Reel Rec
From: Brian Kennedy <kennedybc@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 16:29:05 -0500
I have a friend resto moding a '57 Ford in his first class restoration garage
nee dairy barn. Much to my surprise, he uses the white plastic pipe to run air
from his industrial sized compressor all over the place. He said it's been in
place for about 25 years and he's had only one leak. Next time I'm by, I'll
look at how he does retractable hoses if he does.
Brian K

On Feb 18, 2015, at 3:47 PM, Scott wrote:

> I agree with David that we *should* be able to make fittings that don't leak
any more, but after I spent forever trying to have a leak free system, I gave
up and just put ball valves everywhere too. My QD fittings also leak, and I'm
sure other stuff does too. I've now gone almost to the opposite extreme and so
long as the line hold pressure while I'm trying to use it, I'm happy. I've
decided my air lines are like the SR-71's fuel tanks--they're *supposed* to
leak somewhat.

> Though I'm contemplating a new garage, and if that happens, the whole thing
will be black iron and it'll so tight that it'll hold full pressure for
months. I'll still use ball valves, but if I got to start from scratch, I'm
going to have something that will make me cry (with happiness).

> Scott
>
> On 2/17/2015 9:48 PM, Dave Cavanaugh wrote:
>> I have three of the Harbor Freight retractable reels in my shop. The reels
don't seem to leak, but on two of them the short hoses from my copper air
lines to the hose reel developed leaks and I just replaced them with regular
hose.  I also have a 3/4" ball valve on the wall where the air line comes into
the shop from the shed and I keep it closed whenever I'm not in the shop.  My
lines don't leak but sometimes the QD fittings do.