Re: [Shop-talk] Wifi access point?

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wifi access point?
From: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 22:22:57 -0400
Cc: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Doug is correct - this is exactly how large offices, stadiums, Home Depot
and other commercial facilities illuminate large/densely populated
environments with good coverage.

His client won't see multiple networks - it will see multiple access points
with the same SSID, and will choose the one that presents the best signal
(with an algorithm that will choose when it is time to move to a different
access point). I do this at work and here at home, and it does not require
anything fancy or special. Wifi networks can achieve optimal client handoff
between access points with the use of central management (like cell phones
do), but it will work very well without it.

Using multiple separate access points will provide the fastest performance
(when a single access point is either not enough to cover a large area or
will have too many clients). Repeaters inherently slow the network down,
because every transmission is repeated on the same channel as the
originating transmission. Just make sure the channels don't overlap with
the different access points (on 2.4GHz, use 1, 6 or 11 - the width of the
signals is wider than the width of the channel). Use a "wifi analyzer" app
on your mobile phone to check which channel is most clear, if you live with
nearby neighbors.

-Peter