Re: [Shop-talk] Wifi access point?

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wifi access point?
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 16:13:54 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 16 Jun 2015, Peter Murray wrote:
> - Configure its SSID and encryption the same as your main access point (so
> you can just transparently go from one to the other)

    I'm not sure that's a great idea.  If the house signal reaches the
shop, even weakly ( or vice versa ), you'll have two networks with the
same name available.  I bet that'll cause more problems than it'll solve.

    Any modern device can store access credentials for dozens of wireless
networks, so there's minimal advantage to naming them the same anyway.

    Also, from a troubleshooting perspective, two names would be better.
Say you are in the shop -- or outside on the property -- and your
connection sucks.  Unbeknownst to you, your shop WAP crashed, and your
computer jumped to the weak house signal.  You won't be able to tell them
apart from the client device if they are named the same.

--
  David Hillman