Re: [Shop-talk] Refrigerator

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Refrigerator
From: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 13:41:46 -0400
Cc: "Shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
We renovated our kitchen in 2011 and moved the then 5+-year-old
conventional (freezer on top, single door on bottom) fridge/freezer to the
garage - and it has been fine. My only complaint is that it doesn't have
quite enough insulation on the bottom of the freezer door, and as a result
there is condensation that appears there on more humid days.

We don't have heating or cooling in the garage space, but it is fully
insulated, so it never drops below 35F, even when it is -19F outside (rare
here in Northern Virginia, but it happens). If you can insulate the garage,
I do recommend it!

It is handy having a fridge in the garage for beverages as well as for
kitchen overflow. Keeps muddy kids out of the house if they just want a
drink.

The nice bottom freezer/french doors on top Kenmore Elite is excellent in
the kitchen (it only has water on the door, with an auto-icemaker in the
freezer, which takes up much less space). Ours has a satin-finish that
simulates stainless steel, but is still magnetic. I picked it up at our
nearby Sears Hardware, which had it at 50% off.

My parents-in-law have an un-insulated/open outbuilding that has two
fridge/freezers, and they run just fine for them year-round. Located in
Montrose, CO, they see a broad swing of temperatures, from 100F+ to -10F.
They're probably each over 15 years old, though.

-Peter