Re: [Shop-talk] barn door questions

To: <steve@hochschild.org>, <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] barn door questions
From: "Pat Horne" <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 18:26:07 -0500
Steve,

Take a look at Lexan for the windows. I don't know how large a panel you can
get, but it is very tough. I also live in Texas (South of Austin) and I used
Lexan roofing panels over a porch about 20 years ago and it hasn't weathered
at all.

About 15 years ago I built my 30'x40' shop and also planned on working on my
travel trailer in it, which I never did. My trailer is an old Avion, which
is less than 10' tall, so I built my bottom floor a bit over 10' high. I put
in an segmented overhead door 12' wide by 10' high.
I also built exterior stairs to get to the second floor which is a 900 sq.
ft. apartment. My shop area is split between mechanic/steel work and
woodworking, with the center part in line with the overhead door open so
that there is overflow room from either half. Don't forget to allow for an
office and a bathroom, including a shower. One thing I did which helps is to
cover the ceiling with cheap corrugated roofing metal to reflect light
around inside. Really helps. Also I ran air all around the shop with a
closet outside under the stairs for the compressor.

Where are you located?

Peace,
Pat