Re: [Shop-talk] Wire splices ...

To: Arvid Jedlicka <arvidj@visi.com>, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wire splices ...
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 22:18:40 -0500
On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 7:41 AM, Arvid Jedlicka <arvidj@visi.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 19:09:42 -0500
> David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 8:12 AM, Arvid Jedlicka <arvidj@visi.com> wrote:
>>>
>> Arvid: nothing reached the list.
>
> Thanks David. I'll try this again with a different email client and see if
> it works ...
>
> I'll need to tap into some of the small interior wiring on the car. I'd like
> to access the collective wisdom of the
> group regarding the best way to do it.
>
> We're all familiar with the guillotine style ...
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Morris-Products-10774-Splice-Connector/dp/B0106BJ8CI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1438088400&sr=8-8&keywords=splice&pebp=1438088429119&perid=0HVMJGHE6P8SY9HN2QM6
>
> ... but I'm not that fond of them. My limited experience with them usually
> results in the original wire being cut or
> the added wire not remaining attached. I am assuming it is operator error
> but it could be I'm just buying the wrong
> brand or size of connector. Suggestions welcome.
>
> I've also seen, but never used, the posi-tap type of connectors ...
>
> http://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html ...
>
> Any real world experience would be appreciated.
>
> That's all I can think of and very likely have missed "the perfect
> solution".
>
> Suggestions and recommendations??

My very strong preference is to tap at the terminal block or fuse or
relay.  Second choice is at the termination for a load.
Various options depending on what kind of terminals are involved.

Third choice is at an existing splice.  Mid span splices are evil, and
all of them will eventually fail, one way or another.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com