Re: [Shop-talk] Is this a shutoff?

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Is this a shutoff?
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 00:18:25 -0400
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
It is my understanding that modern codes favor black pipe.  In New
York, I don't think copper is allowed with gas, especially if it is
inside a wall.  The concern is that someone drives a nail, hits the
pipe and creates a small leak.  Eventually enough gas leaks out that
a spark can blow up the whole house.  Also, gas work typically
requires leak testing with a pressure gauge.  The system has to hold
pressure for a certain amount of time to prove that there are no
leaks, even small ones.  That is the big difference between water and
gas.  A small water leak may rot out some boards and wet some carpet
or sheetrock.  A small gas leak, given some time, can create an
explosive situation.  I am not saying don't do it.  Just learn a lot
about what you are doing and what the requirements are.  Read stuff,
ask people, get all the information you can.  Maybe you can find a
pro who would review your plans and look over and test the finished
work, for a reasonable fee.  I don't know if you can find someone
willing to do that, but it might be a good solution if you can.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net