Re: [Shop-talk] cold temp seam sealer

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] cold temp seam sealer
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 11:50:42 -0800
On 12/26/2015 10:35 AM, Randall wrote:

>> So, the question is if anyone has used a seam or metal
>> sealant that will seal and cure in cold temperatures.

The other option, of course, and the approach I'd take, is to find a
heat lamp or some obnoxiously hot halogen worklight and warm the metal
and keep it warm (heat lamp, etc.) while the sealer cures.   If you've
got one of those non-contact infrared pyrometers you can shoot for
75degF surface temp, too hot and most sealers would get runny.

I like the 2-part SEM seam sealer, though I've always wondered: it
requires its own applicator gun, but it looks like Simpson Strong-Tie
foundation epoxy, comes out of the tube about the same consistency,
cures in about the same time, has about the same flexibility once cured.
  JB Weld might be an option, as would Smooth-On Metalset A4.

Make sure to get the damage completely clean on both inside and outside,
sandblast or lots of wire-wheel attention plus some Rust-Mort then clean
it again, apply the chosen adhesive, and force it through the hole and
smear it flush on both sides.   I've done this with a reasonable degree
of permanence on small, hidden areas of damage.

John.