Re: [Shop-talk] The one tool we have never discussed here!

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] The one tool we have never discussed here!
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 18:36:57 -0800
On 1/31/2016 6:21 PM, Bob Kegel wrote:
> We have a Dyson DC07 and are very happy with it. It?s a 2003 model and
> still sucks like new. It rarely clogs, and when it does, can be easily
> cleared without tools.  The crevice tool, brush, and upholstery tool
> don?t come adrift. The cord is really long, enough to do three rooms
> from the same outlet.

We have a Beam central vac, put it in when we remodeled 2003ish.  Was
not cheap.  Paid someone to do the plumbing.

The main sucking unit has been great.  The collection bin capacity is
not industrial-dust-collector sized, so you need to empty it roughly
monthly.

I've had to replace one wall socket wherein the electrical contacts came
apart.  Actually, my then-eight-year-old daughter did most of the work,
with me handing her tools.  That's why it's upside-down compared to the
rest, but it works fine and I'm not going to change it.

We also put in a couple 'vac-pans' (kick open the duct, turns on the
motor, sweep your detritus over and it magically disappears) that have
proven a bit fragile, I've replaced both once and have to replace
another one now 'cause the electrical contacts have failed.

The Beam power-brush head unit has needed repair a couple of times,
couple drive belts wore out, power brush clogged up with dog hair and
broke the cover under the brush once, most recently the neck that
connects the head to the pipe cracked.  The good news is that it's a
remarkably simple design and comes thoroughly apart with a total of
about three snap clips and eight screws, and the 'net drops parts at
your doorstep quite cheaply, so after paying a local vacuum shop for the
first belt change none of the subsequent failures has cost more than $15
to fix.

John.

utox.team.net