[Shop-talk] Enough with vacuums, on to the opposite, compressed air

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Enough with vacuums, on to the opposite, compressed air
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 12:24:43 -0500 (EST)
    I have a filter/regulator/lubricator assembly from McMaster-Carr
plumbed into the air lines in my shop ( part number 4957k54 if you are
curious ).  The filter bowl has failed, and is leaking substantially.
This is the second time the unit has failed since I bought it five years
ago.  McMaster may send me a replacement assembly again -- I just
called them this morning, and am awaiting their formal response.  The
filter unit is available separately for about $100.

    For a fairly simple product that was north of $200, a MBTF of <3 years
is not acceptable... especially if I wind up spending the $50/yr to fix it
in the future.

    Can anyone recommend a better quality alternative, that I can install
and forget about for a while?  I don't need super precise regulation, or
particularly high pressure capacity.  The current unit is +/- 1 psi up
to 150 psi, and that's fine for my use.  Alternately, I could keep the
regulator/lubricator portions of the modular McMaster unit, which seem
relatively trouble-free, and just add an upstream standalone filter.

    Thanks.

--
  David Hillman