Re: [Shop-talk] Radiant heat for garage (Now IR Cameras)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Radiant heat for garage (Now IR Cameras)
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:05:42 -0400 03/17/2016 09:05:45, Serialize complete at 03/17/2016 09:05:45
--===============2159623380096658764==

--=_alternative 004AB31685257F79_=

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I really can't believe how many
things an IR Camera can do.  It took me years to justify it in my mind to
drop the $1200 (at the time) on a camera.  The Android options now seem
really competitive!

I don't have experience with android ones, but that photos seems to be
pretty impressive.  While the dedicated cameras are out of the reach for
most people without a professional need use, I do want to give you a
little ammo to think about buying, at least the android model...

8-Not only can you find studs, you can find mold, leaks, water damage,
etc.  This alone could justify the purchase of a camera.  Think about how
much it costs when you have to rip up walls/floors to find leaks.
7-Electrical problems BEFORE a fire.  They can identify failing, or about
to fail, circuits and breakers!
6-Thermal loss-  My original reason (and it took me years to justify it)
was to find out where my home was leaking the worst in insulation.  I live
in a 200+ year old home.  Finding leaks and addressing them can save me
thousands.
5-Using it to gauge welds.  I was fixing a marine exhaust manafold that
cost $1300 to replace.  It was made out of cast iron.  Between a home oven
in the shop and the camera, I was about to pre-heat the part, weld it, and
let it cool properly because I could keep checking the part's temperature
to prevent it from getting out of range.
4-Finding nests and animals-  A neat side benefit, you can find mice and
insect nests. This is not an absolute, and it takes some 'luck' but it can
be done.
3-Great family photos for kids-  Each year, I bring the camera to work on
'bring your kids to work day.'  The kids LOVE the photos (and mine camera
takes the two photos with the actual photo and thermal image) and I give
them to their parents.
2-Engine/drive train diagnosis!!!  That's right, I've used it to find
sticky brakes, leaky exhaust, unevenly heated engines and other things.
AND the number one reason for people here...
1-Really, which one of us here needs a reason to buy a new tool!  8>)

Here are a few samples that I had handy...I had some great ones of breaker
panels, but I can't find them right now.

http://tinyurl.com/ircamerasamples

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
Waldo Emerson
--=_alternative 004AB31685257F79_=

I really can't believe how many things an IR Camera can do. &nbsp;It took
me years to justify it in my mind to drop the $1200 (at the time) on a
camera. &nbsp;The Android options now seem really competitive!</font>
ones, but that photos seems to be pretty impressive. &nbsp;While the dedicated
cameras are out of the reach for most people without a professional need
use, I do want to give you a little ammo to think about buying, at least
the android model...</font>
find mold, leaks, water damage, etc. &nbsp;This alone could justify the
purchase of a camera. &nbsp;Think about how much it costs when you have
to rip up walls/floors to find leaks.</font>
&nbsp;They can identify failing, or about to fail, circuits and breakers!</font>
(and it took me years to justify it) was to find out where my home was
leaking the worst in insulation. &nbsp;I live in a 200+ year old home.
&nbsp;Finding leaks and addressing them can save me thousands.</font>
fixing a marine exhaust manafold that cost $1300 to replace. &nbsp;It was
made out of cast iron. &nbsp;Between a home oven in the shop and the camera,
I was about to pre-heat the part, weld it, and let it cool properly because
I could keep checking the part's temperature to prevent it from getting
out of range.</font>
neat side benefit, you can find mice and insect nests. This is not an absolute,
and it takes some 'luck' but it can be done.</font>
year, I bring the camera to work on 'bring your kids to work day.' &nbsp;The
kids LOVE the photos (and mine camera &nbsp;takes the two photos with the
actual photo and thermal image) and I give them to their parents.</font>
&nbsp;That's
right, I've used it to find sticky brakes, leaky exhaust, unevenly heated
engines and other things.</font>
here...</font>
a reason to buy a new tool! &nbsp;8&gt;)</font>
had some great ones of breaker panels, but I can't find them right now.</font>
Baud Modem.<br>
Eric P<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>

--===============2159623380096658764==--