Re: [Shop-talk] Battery-operated tools

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery-operated tools
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 07:37:50 -0400
"I realize this is like bringing up 'best oil' or 'best tires' on a car list..:"

For what it's worth, I bought a set of Ryobi tools with lithium
batteries at the local outlet store about eight years ago.  One of the
batteries has become somewhat weak*, but will still get small jobs
done.   Ryobi is a brand that is almost universally reviled on the GJ
and other forms where such things are discussed, but I couldn't have
bought a battery of any other brand for the price I paid for four
tools and two batteries, and they've served me just fine for household
use.

I think the consensus here is go lithium, and go single-brand so you
can stick with one battery.  That makes sense to me.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

* The weak battery is the one that never showed anything but dead on
the charge indicator - but it always had a charge.  Probably why it
was at the outlet store in the first place.