Re: [Shop-talk] tubing bender dies

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tubing bender dies
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 16:26:56 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 18 May 2016, Brad Kahler wrote:
> There is nothing critical about the looks or shape of the pipe.  What
> I'm trying to do is create a 90 degree bend in the 5/8" tubing which
> is going to be used on the gas tank filler neck on my motorhome.  I'm
> adding a vent line so the tank fills easier (i.e. faster).

Brad,

    For those minimal requirements, it seems like you'd be time way ahead
making a simple bender from scratch, if you have some scrap metal handy.
Here's the one I made a few years ago...

<http://planet-torque.com/welding/bracket-bender-4.jpg>

    Two posts are fixed to the base, in this case a scrap of square tube,
and one is fixed to the arm, here a flat scrap.  One hole drilled in the
arm is the pivot point.

    Or you could just find something round with a useful radius -- like a
wheel -- and bend the tube over that by hand.  Doesn't take much to bend
5/8" x 1/16" material.

--
  David Hillman