Re: [Shop-talk] Extension cord length vs. wire gauge

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Extension cord length vs. wire gauge
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 12:48:50 -0400

--000000000000715d520579891437

It's a hedge-trimmer.

A goddamned hedge trimmer for the the goddamned hedges.

I went and bought a house with...shrubbery. It's a nice house and I like
it. In a neighborhood. A nice one. With neighbors. Kinda rich ones, with
yard people that keep their yards looking _very_ nice.

I am having more than a little difficulty with the idea that I own a house
with shrubs that need to be maintained. I mean, I saw them when I looked at
the house, butt I guess it didn't register. And as much as anything else, I
don't want the neighbors to think I'm bringing down their neighborhood. I
already bought this as a foreclosure and they're all kind of acting like I
saved that end of the street from an ogre.

This is actually kind of a thing for me. I used to race motorcycles all
weekend. People that "have people" make my ass twitch a little bit. I got a
guy for stuff back home--they have...staff. One guy's watch cost more than
my house, I think. I'm not sure I belong here, no matter how much money I
make. I don't want to own any "hedges". At least not the plant kind.

But I like this house, on this lot, and I'd like to be a good neighbor, and
they're nice folks and probably don't deserve me bringing down their
property values. And how much this is getting to me is ALSO getting to me.

But anyway, I need a f*ck#ng hedge trimmer for these hedges and some sort
of cover plant that I like along the driveway. He called it honeysuckle.

I dislike the idea of even owning a *hedge trimmer* enough that I don't
want to spend any coin on it. I'd buy the gas version and slap an expansion
chamber on it and get my rocks off that way, but (also problematic for me)
the grown up in my head is noting that might be a pointless waste of money.
These things need to be cut twice a year, max, I'd bet...and I don't
envision myself becoming the sort of person that schools sculpts and
topiary.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion Eric. I'll see if I can get a hedge
trimmer for that setup.

Convince me about battery life. I swore off cordless tools after going
all-in on Milwaukee 18v kit twenty years ago and having the batteries last
a few months each. I have this whole ecosystem of useless tools because I
got tired of spending $60 a pop for new packs. On sale.

How long are those lasting you? How frequently do you charge them? Can they
sit for months and still hold a charge when used again or do I have to baby
them?

Thanks,

Scott

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018, 12:11 PM <eric@megageek.com wrote:

> OK, I hate to be 'that guy' but have you looked at this...
>

> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBVCQ4W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>
> A little pricey, BUT it is an excuse to buy a tool, AND you can use it for
> a lot of other things.  I have this model and I run a firewood farm.  My
> jaw dropped the first time I use this thing.
>
> It is a beast, the batteries do last long.  The kerf is very narrow, so I
> think that is why the performance is so great.
>
> Arguments for...
>
> -It's way safer than a gas powered unit
> -You do not need to worry about extension cords (if you are making this
> augment to an SO, also add "Honey, if I accidentally nick the wire with the
> chainsaw, I might get electrocuted.  You don't want that, do you?)*
> -Instead of being 'ashamed' of the electric saw, you get to proclaim this
> awesomeness
> -the batteries are compatible with other Dewalt items, SO there is
> possible more tool goodness to come.
> -Did I mention bragging rights?
> -You can even use to it trim wood to use in projects, like if you make
> bowls, carvings or pens on a lathe (I do use this for it.)
> -You can use it inside if you need to do demo/home repair
> -It's Dewalt, so that is cool
>
> Just some food for thought.
>
> *= I'm a 47 year old bachelor.  I do not know anything about long term
> marriages,so this may not work.  YMMV.
>

> Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
> Tech Viper
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson _______________________________________________
>
> Shop-talk@autox.team.net
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/scott.hall.personal@gmail.com

--000000000000715d520579891437

 dir=3D"auto">A goddamned hedge trimmer for the the goddamned hedges.</div>=
h...shrubbery. It&#39;s a nice house and I like it. In a neighborhood. A ni=
ce one. With neighbors. Kinda rich ones, with yard people that keep their y=
=3D"auto">I am having more than a little difficulty with the idea that I ow=
n a house with shrubs that need to be maintained. I mean, I saw them when I=
 looked at the house, butt I guess it didn&#39;t register. And as much as a=
nything else, I don&#39;t want the neighbors to think I&#39;m bringing down=
 their neighborhood. I already bought this as a foreclosure and they&#39;re=
 all kind of acting like I saved that end of the street from an ogre.</div>=
ing for me. I used to race motorcycles all weekend. People that &quot;have =
people&quot; make my ass twitch a little bit. I got a guy for stuff back ho=
me--they have...staff. One guy&#39;s watch cost more than my house, I think=
. I&#39;m not sure I belong here, no matter how much money I make. I don&#3=
9;t want to own any &quot;hedges&quot;. At least not the plant kind.=C2=A0<=
n this lot, and I&#39;d like to be a good neighbor, and they&#39;re nice fo=
lks and probably don&#39;t deserve me bringing down their property values. =
And how much this is getting to me is ALSO getting to me.</div><div dir=3D"=
r for these hedges and some sort of cover plant that I like along the drive=
"auto">I dislike the idea of even owning a *hedge trimmer* enough that I do=
n&#39;t want to spend any coin on it. I&#39;d buy the gas version and slap =
an expansion chamber on it and get my rocks off that way, but (also problem=
atic for me) the grown up in my head is noting that might be a pointless wa=
ste of money. These things need to be cut twice a year, max, I&#39;d bet...=
and I don&#39;t envision myself becoming the sort of person that schools sc=
y, thanks for the suggestion Eric. I&#39;ll see if I can get a hedge trimme=
ce me about battery life. I swore off cordless tools after going all-in on =
Milwaukee 18v kit twenty years ago and having the batteries last a few mont=
hs each. I have this whole ecosystem of useless tools because I got tired o=
f spending <span class=3D"money">$60</span>=C2=A0a pop for new packs. On sa=
asting you? How frequently do you charge them? Can they sit for months and =
still hold a charge when used again or do I have to baby them?</div><div di=
"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Wed, Oct 31, 2018, 12:11 PM  &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:er=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding=
-left:1ex"><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">OK, I hate to be &#39;that =
guy&#39; but have you
looked at this...</font>
arch_detailpage?ie=3DUTF8&amp;psc=3D1" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer"=
/gp/product/B01NBVCQ4W/ref=3Doh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=3DUTF8&amp;psc=3D1=
se
to buy a tool, AND you can use it for a lot of other things.=C2=A0 I have
this model and I run a firewood farm.=C2=A0 My jaw dropped the first time
I use this thing.</font>
st
long.=C2=A0 The kerf is very narrow, so I think that is why the performance
is so great.</font>
ered unit</font>
tension
cords (if you are making this augment to an SO, also add &quot;Honey, if
I accidentally nick the wire with the chainsaw, I might get electrocuted.
=C2=A0You don&#39;t want that, do you?)*</font>
; of the electric
saw, you get to proclaim this awesomeness</font>
 other
Dewalt items, SO there is possible more tool goodness to come.</font>
ont>
use in projects, like if you make bowls, carvings or pens on a lathe (I
do use this for it.)</font>
do demo/home repair</font>
/font>
r.=C2=A0 I
do not know anything about long term marriages,so this may not work.=C2=A0 =
YMMV.</font>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a ratio=
nal
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>_______________________________________________<br>
rrer">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=