Re: [Shop-talk] cove (or 'dish') style cut on a piece of wood.

To: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>, <eric@megageek.com>, "'Shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] cove (or 'dish') style cut on a piece of wood.
From: "Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:25:20 -0800

--===============3659171243713683051==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0010_01D4C14C.73918960"

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D4C14C.73918960
        charset="iso-8859-1"

Check these suggestions out.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3Dwooden+bowl+with+table+saw=

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com

-----Original Message-----=20
From: Randall via Shop-talk=20
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 1:07 PM=20
To: eric@megageek.com ; 'Shop-talk'=20
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] cove (or 'dish') style cut on a piece of wood.=20

Hmm, looks like the list server is stuttering again.  I got Phil's =
reply,
but not the original post.

Anyway, if you had some way to guide the piece, I might try doing the =
table
saw trick.  But it would have to be a very shallow cut, repeated several
times to get 1/2" depth.  A good carbide wood blade will cut sideways, =
but
only to the depth of the carbide inserts.

Probably also not that hard to rig a wood lathe with the swing you need.
Maybe mount a cheap bench grinder so one end hangs off the edge of the =
bench
(giving you somewhere around 7' of swing) and drive the other end.  Main
difficulty with that is setting up the belt (or gear) train to turn it
slowly enough.  I've got a DC motor from an old treadmill that would
probably do the job, combined with a decent (load sensing) electronic =
speed
control.

-- Randall=20
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild=20

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/gsteve@hammatt.com

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D4C14C.73918960
        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>Check these suggestions out.</DIV>
<DIV><A=20
href=3D"https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3Dwooden+bowl+with+t=
able+saw">https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3Dwooden+bowl+with=
+table+saw</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Steve Hammatt</DIV>
<DIV>Mount Vernon WA USA</DIV>
<DIV>www.leatherplates.com</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-----Original Message----- </DIV>
<DIV>From: Randall via Shop-talk </DIV>
<DIV>Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 1:07 PM </DIV>
<DIV>To: eric@megageek.com ; 'Shop-talk' </DIV>
<DIV>Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] cove (or 'dish') style cut on a piece of =
wood.=20
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Hmm, looks like the list server is stuttering again.&nbsp; I got =
Phil's=20
reply,</DIV>
<DIV>but not the original post.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Anyway, if you had some way to guide the piece, I might try doing =
the=20
table</DIV>
<DIV>saw trick.&nbsp; But it would have to be a very shallow cut, =
repeated=20
several</DIV>
<DIV>times to get 1/2" depth.&nbsp; A good carbide wood blade will cut =
sideways,=20
but</DIV>
<DIV>only to the depth of the carbide inserts.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Probably also not that hard to rig a wood lathe with the swing you=20
need.</DIV>
<DIV>Maybe mount a cheap bench grinder so one end hangs off the edge of =
the=20
bench</DIV>
<DIV>(giving you somewhere around 7' of swing) and drive the other =
end.&nbsp;=20
Main</DIV>
<DIV>difficulty with that is setting up the belt (or gear) train to turn =

it</DIV>
<DIV>slowly enough.&nbsp; I've got a DC motor from an old treadmill that =

would</DIV>
<DIV>probably do the job, combined with a decent (load sensing) =
electronic=20
speed</DIV>
<DIV>control.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-- Randall </DIV>
<DIV>56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver</DIV>
<DIV>71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild</DIV>
<DIV>71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>_______________________________________________</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</DIV>
<DIV>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html</DIV>
<DIV>Suggested annual donation&nbsp; $12.96</DIV>
<DIV>Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Unsubscribe/Manage:=20
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/gsteve@hammatt.com</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--===============3659171243713683051==--