Re: [Shop-talk] High end Flare nut wrench sets- and the power of inducti

To: "eric@megageek.com" <eric@megageek.com>, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] High end Flare nut wrench sets- and the power of induction!
From: David Scheidt via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 10:39:52 -0500
On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 6:58 AM eric--- via Shop-talk
<shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Morning all!
>
> I'm not a snap-on guy, I realize the quality is there, but I normally don't
> need it for the premium it costs.
>
> Last night, I was working on brake lines and some of the nuts were rusted on
> tight.  My normal flare wrenches were actually opening up as I put force on
> them.
>
> So I'm ready to put serious money on a good set (both metric and SAE), but
> not knowing the top end brands well, which should I look for?
>
> Is Snap-on the way to go?  Is Mac or another brand just as good?  What about
> the gear wrench brand and other ones on Amazon?  (like these OEM brand
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07876M87B/ref=psdc_553422_t2_B000V5CZXY   NOTE, I
> do NOT want flex head.)

Snap-On and SK are the only readily available flare nut wrenches worth
owning.  I suspect the expensive high end german wrenches are nice,
too, but I have no experience with their flare wrenches.  Everything
else is garbage.  I have broken a snap-on flare wrench on a seriously
stuck brake line fitting -- but, and this is important, the only other
thing damaged were my knuckles.  The fitting was not damaged, and we
were able to take it apart after getting heat into it.

> Also, where is a good place to get the wrenches?  If I go Snap-on, do I have
> to find a truck?

Used snap on flare wrenches are available for a decent price, look at
ebay; if you want new, find the truck (you can buy from the website,
the truck will probably give you a little better price.).  For SK, if
they're not sold locally to you, try Harry Epstein
(https://www.harryepstein.com/).

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com