Re: [Shop-talk] De-coupling overhead door torsion spring

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] De-coupling overhead door torsion spring
From: Donald H Locker via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 20:38:39 -0400
If you don't know which screws to loosen, I would suggest you haven't
sufficient knowledge to undertake this operation and are putting
yourself in danger. The forces are large, and if you can't see where
they will be coming from, you WILL get hurt.

Donald.
--
*Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
() no proprietary attachments; no html mail

On 2019-10-15 11:51 a.m., Scott Hall via Shop-talk wrote:
> Which bolts am I loosening, Bill? The ones that appear to hold to the
> shaft the fixture I'm going to be inserting the riffs into?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2019, 9:58 AM Bill Rabel <brabel@comcast.net
> <mailto:brabel@comcast.net>> wrote:
>
>     Scott -
>
>     De-tension the springs first. You will need two steel rods, 12â?? -
>     18â?? long. 3/8â?? socket extensions work well.
>
>     Put one rod into the hole in the collar with the securing bolts in
>     it. Hold on to the rod when you loosen the bolts, and use the two
>     rods to relieve the spring tension, 1/4 turn at a time.
>
>     - Bill Rabel
>        Anacortes, WA
>

>     â??Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
>     exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong
>     remedy.â?? - Sir Ernest Benn
>

>>     On Oct 14, 2019, at 8:39 PM, Scott Hall via Shop-talk
>>     <shop-talk@autox.team.net <mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     Got a new insulated garage door for winter here. Need to remove
>>     the old door.
>>

>>     Torsion springs seem to be one of those things that drive
>>     emergency room visits in real life, not just internet clickbait.
>>

>>     Before I just do what Google says, I think I'd like to hear from
>>     the real people on a subject like that. Can I somehow un-do the
>>     cable ends from the door, or the cables from the springs and then
>>     remove the door panels, or do I need to de-tension the torsion
>>     spring first?
>>

>>     And if I need to de-tension it, what's the best method to avoid
>>     smashed skulls or broken limbs?
>>

>>     Thanks in advance.
>>

>>     Scott

[snip]