Re: [Shop-talk] De-coupling overhead door torsion spring

To: "'Shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] De-coupling overhead door torsion spring
From: Randall via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 21:20:06 -0700
It may not be necessary to loosen the bolts at all, since you are removing
and replacing the door but (I assume) not replacing cables, etc.

Again I'm not sure they are all the same, but when I had to replace one of
the cables on my box trailer (which has a very similar spring mechanism to
my overhead garage doors), I left the spring compressed with one of the
tommy bars jammed against the door header.  That let me R&R the cable with
the door down (which for my trailer is the open position).  I didn't mess
with either of the bolts until I had to adjust the length of the cable (to
lift the door evenly).  If you aren't going to replace the cables, you may
not have to mess with them at all.

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild